Monday, March 26, 2007

Whenever I'm riding the bus or in some public place and a person is listening to headphones with the volume kind of high, I usually only hear muffled noises with a few rattling drum beats thrown in, but a couple of days ago there was a patron in the next aisle blasting his headphones so loud I could hear the vocals and picked out which song was being listened to in only a few seconds...sort of like playing Name That Tune. I cringe at the damage being done to this person's hearing, but I guess you don't need your ears to read.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

As someone who finds loud noises physically painful, I often wonder how people can stand having their music cranked so high, but I suppose they wouldn't do it if they weren't deriving some pleasure from it. Perhaps I am just hopelessly old fashioned, but I really miss the old Tri-Met signs that said "keep your stereo personal", as well as the basic civilized level of courtesy implied therein.

I won't even get started on the fact that many people feel perfectly entitled to behave like cretins in the library...

The lack of respect is absolutely appalling.

The Mushroom said...

The mental image I have is of the kids coming to the grandparents' house, and it's the youth who are hearing impaired, not the oldsters.

Eh? What'd ya say?

Jayson said...

Ha! Thanks for your comments and support Mushroom.

mrk said...

i love it when these people come up to my desk with their earphones blaring and YELL IN MY FACE because they can't hear themselves speak...